Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Legal Authority

   Before I started this project I was thinking it was going to be pretty difficult because I was just a student asking questions. You know how lawyers are they want money and if they know that you are not going to make them money then they're not going to waste their time with you. When we started this project week 7, that weekend I contacted a random person on my list Michael D. Rounds. While waiting I was hoping that if the lawyer can just pick up it would be easier to convince him to answer my questions but if a secretary answers there's no way they are going to let me talk to them just to ask a couple of questions. Unfortunately when someone answers my fear is realized and it is a secretary. I politely ask her if I can please talk to a lawyer on intellecual property. I end up telling her I'm a student pursuing a degree in Visual Effects and I have a few questions on IP law. She tells me that they will call me back on Monday. I leave it at that and Monday rolls by and no response from them so I move on. I call a couple of places and all of them telling me they will call back. Thankfully last week on Friday while at school I get a call back from Patricia Lee from Huchinson and Stephen, LLC. She was kind, patient while I wrote down notes and was very helpful answering my questions. "If you are concerned with a creation of your own, you’ll first need to know what form (or forms) of intellectual property applies to it."(Patent, Copyright, and Trademark. Page 8)Overall the interview went smoothly it didn't take long I say something like around 30 minutes. I had my notes and everything I needed. Actually to be honest I don't think it's the lawyers themselves but the secretaries you have to get past. The moment a secretary gets the idea that their is no way to make  money then they turn you down and come up with something like the IP lawyer is not available right now or they're with another client and will get back to you. This project wasn't too hard. The only challenging part was just getting a lawyer that proved difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment